While the Mets continue to cope with having regulars like Ruben Tejada and Jason Bay on the disabled list, Toronto optioned first baseman Adam Lind to Triple-A Las Vegas and will be without suspended third baseman Brett Lawrie for the entirety of the club's first Interleague series against the Mets this weekend at Rogers Centre.
That series kicks off Friday night, with left-handers Jon Niese and Ricky Romero squaring off. Niese tossed six scoreless innings in his previous outing despite battling flu-like symptoms, while Romero suffered his first loss of the year, walking five and giving up four runs in 5 1/3 innings.
The Blue Jays sent Lind down on Thursday, hoping to get the struggling first baseman back on track at the plate. The corresponding move was the promotion of 24-year-old Yan Gomes, who became the first player born in Brazil to appear in a Major League game on Thursday. Gomes went 2-for-3 with a pair of singles in his debut.
Lind opened the season as Toronto's cleanup hitter, but has hit just .186 with a .586 OPS in 34 games.
"No one ever wants to get sent down, but he understood he wasn't performing up to his ability," Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos said. "He knows he's capable of more, he just hasn't been hitting. ... Sometimes you just need some time and a change of scenery to try to get out of it, and hopefully that's what Adam's going to need."
The Mets, meanwhile, will keep pushing forward without several of their everyday players, though manager Terry Collins is not allowing his club to sit back and focus on who's not in the lineup on a daily basis.
"The guys in that clubhouse are the guys we've got to get it done with," Collins said. "We can't sit there and say, 'Wait until Ruben gets back, or wait until [Bay] gets back.' That's not how we do it here. Accountability and expectations arise with whomever's got the uniforms on."
Mets: Alderson altering bullpen
The Mets designated veteran reliever D.J. Carrasco for assignment and recalled lefty Robert Carson from Double-A Binghamton, and it might not be the last move intended to rework the National League's worst bullpen. One change that won't be made -- yet, at least -- is pushing Bobby Parnell into late-inning duty.
"The bullpen has been a frustration. There's no question about that," general manager Sandy Alderson said. "We haven't had the consistency or the depth that we'd like to have. At some point, you have to start making changes, and [Wednesday] night was a step in that direction. It's not that we have outstanding candidates in the Minor League system at this point. We've got some good candidates, but like a number of our other prospects, perhaps they're not ready to pitch at this level."
Collins' hope is that Carson, 23, develops into the second left-hander in the bullpen. He was called up earlier this season, but didn't appear in a game.
Blue Jays: Lawrie drops appeal
After dropping his appeal regarding his four-game suspension, Lawrie will sit out this weekend's series. Anthopoulos said he, manager John Farrell and Lawrie re-evaluated his appeal Wednesday night and decided to no longer pursue it, a 180-degree turn from when Lawrie said Wednesday afternoon they would "obviously" appeal it.
Lawrie was also fined an undisclosed amount. He apologized to umpire Bill Miller, who made the questionable strike calls that caused Lawrie to bounce his helmet in Miller's direction.
Being able to use a designated hitter during Interleague Play should lead to more at-bats for Mets outfielder Scott Hairston.
Toronto has a .464 winning percentage in Interleague Play.