PEORIA, Ariz. -- Mariners outfielder Milton Bradley will not face criminal charges stemming from his arrest last month for allegedly making threatening comments to a woman now identified as his wife.

Bradley's attorney, Harland Braun, released a statement saying the allegations against Bradley were investigated by both the Los Angeles Police Department and Los Angeles City Attorney's Office and both agencies determined there was no basis to file charges from the Jan. 18 incident at the player's residence in Encino, Calif.

The Los Angeles Times quoted City Attorney's Office spokesman Frank Mateljan as saying, "We felt a criminal charge was not warranted at this time."

Bradley and his wife will still need to attend a March 9 hearing with the Los Angeles City Attorney's Office.

"As is customary in domestic cases, the City Attorney's Office has scheduled a private meeting with Milton and his wife to make sure that this type of misunderstanding does not occur again," Braun said in his statement.

"Milton and his wife and children all reside together as a family and request that the media respect their wish that the matter remain personal and private. In fact, I have instructed my client not to discuss his relationship with his wife except at the private conference with the city attorney and with a marital counselor."

Bradley, 32, is due at Spring Training when Mariners position players report next Friday in Peoria.

Bradley played just 73 games last season, hitting .205 with eight home runs and 29 RBIs before being sidelined with a knee injury that required arthroscopic surgery.

But Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik said Bradley is reportedly in good condition now and the team is eager to see what kind of shape he's in when camp opens.

Bradley is expected to compete with Michael Saunders for the left-field job as he enters the final year of a contract that will pay him $12 million this season.