NEW YORK -- It took a lot longer than originally anticipated, but Colby Rasmus made his long-awaited return to the Blue Jays' lineup on Wednesday night.
The center fielder went 1-for-4 with an RBI in the Blue Jays' 7-3 loss to the Yankees.
When Rasmus strained his right hamstring on May 12, the hope was that he would return within a couple of games. The days quickly turned into weeks, and before it was all said and done, the athletic center fielder missed well over a month.
The good news is that the hamstring woes appear to be a thing of the past. Rasmus appeared in six rehab games with Triple-A Buffalo and didn't feel any lingering effects from what can often be a nagging injury.
"It's always a learning experience," Rasmus said of his tumultuous May and June. "Pushing yourself too quick or too slow. Every injury is different, this is a different injury, and I just had to learn what I did and hopefully next time, I'll be able to correct it faster. But I'm here now and ready to play."
Rasmus admitted for the first time on Wednesday afternoon that he suffered a setback in his attempt to get back on the field in late May. The 27-year-old went through a series of running drills at Rogers Centre and appeared to be nearing a return before he suddenly disappeared.
The Blue Jays later announced Rasmus had been sent to the club's Minor League complex to continue his rehab. Even though Toronto denied it at the time, the assumption was that something happened when Rasmus went through the running drills, and he conceded that fact Wednesday.
"I suffered a setback," Rasmus said. "When I was running the bases, not when I was running the outfield. I felt a little something, and it wasn't as bad as when I hurt it the first time, but I felt a little something and I felt I could try to keep playing for my sake of trying to do what I need to do for myself, but I didn't think it would be right for the team to do that.
"I felt like I needed to go down. We had [Anthony] Gose here running balls down, and he's just as good, or better, than I am at running balls down in center field, so I felt like we would be all right. I needed to get myself right, so I could come back and help us."
Lind's sore foot improving, but not enough to play
NEW YORK -- Blue Jays designated hitter Adam Lind was moving around the clubhouse with more ease on Wednesday afternoon, but he remains day to day with a sore right foot.
Lind sustained the injury when he fouled a ball off his foot during a game against the Orioles on Saturday afternoon. He was placed in a walking boot and appeared set for a stint on the disabled list, but so far, he has been able to avoid that.
The 30-year-old was still walking with a slight limp Wednesday afternoon, but it wasn't nearly as pronounced as the day before. He also went through some light hitting drills and appears to be nearing a return.
"I haven't run yet, I just hit off a tee, which is a lot different than hitting in the games," Lind said. "It was positive, it was progress hitting in the cage today, but it's a whole new world in the heat of the moment."
The odds of Lind playing in the series finale vs. the Yankees on Thursday appear slim, but after that, the Blue Jays won't really need him for at least a few more days. Toronto will open an Interleague series on Friday night in Cincinnati, and Edwin Encarnacion is expected to get all of the work at first base.
That would keep Lind on the bench, but the hope is that he would be available to pinch-hit. Lind would then, theoretically, be in position to return to the starting lineup for a home series against the Yankees on Monday.
"There have been improvements every day, now we're just working on a tape job to relieve as much stress or pain on my foot as we can, so I can get in the lineup," said Lind, who is hitting .331 with three homers and 18 RBIs in 44 games this season.
Dickey good to go for Friday start in Cincinnati
NEW YORK -- Blue Jays knuckleballer R.A. Dickey is officially in the clear to make his scheduled start on Friday night in Cincinnati.
Dickey left his last outing in the seventh inning because of a groin injury. He said all along the move was precautionary and the plan was to start against the Reds, which has now been confirmed.
The veteran starter hasn't required a stint on the Major League disabled list since 2005, when he suffered a right triceps injury. He also hasn't missed a start since 2011, when he had a glute injury and a right foot injury.
Dickey has allowed two runs in each of his past three starts. He is 6-5 with a 4.08 ERA in 15 outings this season and will be matched up against Reds right-hander Mat Latos on Friday night.
• The Blue Jays officially announced the signings of two more selections from the 2014 First-Year Player Draft. Left-hander Nick Wells (third round) and left-hander Grayson Huffman (sixth round) have agreed to terms with the club. Toronto has signed 25 picks, but that total does not include two first-rounders, No. 9 overall pick Jeff Hoffman and No. 11 overall pick Max Pentecost.